Friday, January 20, 2006

GNR success inspires morning run!!

Thu 19th Jan - Sainsbury's loop 3m 23:35

Found out yesterday thatI'd been accepted to this year's Great North Run through The Times ballot. Glad to be back in after my 7 year run came to a halt last year. As much as I despise the organisers for their poor organisation and outrageous money grabbing schemes, its an event I feel I've just got to run every year. I'd planned a 5 miler last night but an afternoon with the kids left me in need of an early night. So once again I went to bed with my running gear laid out ready for an early morning run. Quite amazingly when the alarm went off at 5:05am I didn't roll over and go back to bed. I heard the wind howling outside the window and struck a deal with myself that if I got up I would only do a short 3 mile run. 10 minutes later I was dressed and ready to step out the door.

The run itself was nothing to shout about. The long stretch up Monkseaton Drive was into a stiff wind and I just felt tired and sluggish the whole way round. My muscles ached and the time was slow, slow, slow but given my history of morning runnning (staying in bed) I think just getting out of the door was quite an achievement. As much as I hate to run so early I really feel like this is a key element to my training. The only time I've ever ran consistently in the mornings was during the summer of 2003 and this resulted in a personal best 1h 26m GNR.

No comments: