Sunday, September 03, 2006

Nice views, shame about the hills

Kielder 10k - 41:46
I ran the Kielder 10k today and got some pretty decent hillwork into the bargain. Before the event I'd consider using my 3 stage goal targets. However, because I'd heard the race was hilly I didn't want to set myself targets that would be blown away as soon as I saw the course. That turned out to be a good move because although I put a lot of effort into the run the constant undulations meant that I finished a good 3 minutes out side my 10k PB.

It was quite a small field and I was determined not to get carried away in the opening stages. The race started and I ran what felt like a comfortable pace. I didn't feel as if I was pushing it even though I was cruising along in 2nd place (some way behind the leader already). I checked my watch at the 1km marker and was dismayed to see 3:33. That's 35 min pace and way inside any realistic target. Too fast at the start again. I slowed down and was passed by a North Shields Poly athlete as I ran 4:02 for the next km. If I thought I'd settled into a steady pace I was wrong. The next kilometer was an absolute killer. I barely struggled inside 5 minutes and two more runners passed me on the way. As the other competitors went by me I didn't even try to hang on to them. My 10 week schedule included a 10k for today with a precautionary note of "not flat out". I perhaps used this as an excuse at times during the race when the going got particularly tough.

From there on in it was pretty lonely. On the long straight stretches I could see a couple of the lads up ahead without any real hope (or intention) of catching up to them. For the next 5k I churned out splits of between 4:00 and 4:30 depending on the topography. The early part of the race took in some nice views of the reservoir and then turned in to the forest. It was a pleasant course through the trees with the occasional stream gushing by. Unfortunately my aching leg muscles were commanding most of my attention.

The joy of seeing the 9km marker was briefly washed away by yet another uphill stretch. Happily this was followed by a long downhill towards the finish. As ever I summoned the strength for a fast finish (did I take it too easy during the middle part?) and ran a 3:38 for the last kilometre finishing 5th in 41:46. Terry and the kids were waiting at the finish for me which made it all the better. Elen bounded toward me at the end and was soon asking when she could run a race. The energy she has makes me think she's almost ready to make her debut!

There's a 10 miler in Hexham next week and although I haven't entered I'm considering making myself a late entry. It should be a good event to prime me for the GNR 3 weeks later.

No comments: