Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Pace Dilemma

Barring a breakdown in the next few days I'll definitely be on the Great North Run start line on Sunday. However, I'm quite uncertain as to the pace I should run. I ran 3 miles on the track on Monday night again starting slowly and picking the pace up as I went on. After the first 2 laps I felt some discomfort in the hamstring and had to stop. A little bit of stretching and off I went again. This time it felt better and after a couple of slow laps I started to increase my speed. I ran lap 10 in 1:37, which is around my initial targeted race pace (6:30 per mile), before cooling down with a couple of slower laps. At the time I felt good and confident that I'd be in decent shape for the race. The next morning was a different story and I didn't feel all that great. There was no real pain in my leg but I just felt achey and uncomfortable. I decided to skip last night's run and take a rest. This morning I felt better again and when that 7 o' clock train zoomed into the station I had to sprint all out to catch it. It could have been a big mistake but my leg responded well and again no pain.

So now I vacillate between a 'slow, steady cautious' race pace and a 'what the hell, I'll go for a PB' pace. Hopefully after a couple more training runs I'll be able to make an informed decision. Lets just hope I get it right.

No comments: