Monday, February 20, 2006

The last mile for my little friend

Wed 15th Feb St Mary's Lighthouse 4.9m 35:08
Fri 17th Feb Brierdene Crescent & Monkseaton Drive 4.8m 37:36 approx
Sat 18th Feb Sluice, lighthouse, churchill 6.3m 1:01:00

Kind of a dull week on the running front but just about managed to stay on track. The wind caught me out on Wednesday. Started too fast unaware of the nice breeze pushing me along from behind. As soon as I turned to head for home my legs felt heavy and the wind smacked me in the face. Tried to keep it going for a while but by the last mile I'd slowed considerably and just ambled home.

Friday was a morning make-up run. Started out for the lighthouse but it seemed ridiculous (and not too mention dangerous) to run out there on a cold, dark morning. Turned off the sea front and ran up Brierdene Crescent. Seems like a nice street to live on but I think probably way out of our budget at the moment. The pace was slow, I really need practice at this early morning running lark.

The kids were at my dad's for the weekend, so Terry and I were able to run together for the first time in ages on Saturday morning. It was a bright but cold day and should've been perfect for a nice run. Unfortunately the events of the previous evening hung over our heads. We had finally taken the decision to have our gorgeous little Jack Russell put to sleep. Penny had been a great dog and we have loads of heart warming memories of her but she'd just reached the point where life was meaningless to her. She was suffering from dementia and weeing all over the house. For the last few months she didn't want to go out for walks and spent all her time under the duvet. I'll never forget the day she walked 7 miles around Ullswater and then gulped down an ice cream cone, or when she went off the rails and started chasing sheep in Wastwater, not too mention the countless Sunday mornings chasing the waves in Tynemouth. It was nice to get out on a relaxing run together but we both found it difficult to keep the sad thoughts out of our minds. I loved that little dog. Goodbye Penny.

No comments: