Thursday, July 02, 2009

Druridge Bay 10k - 41.31

I ran the Druridge Bay 10k on Sunday, a nice course but in hindsight not good for a PB attempt. Hoped for a 37.xx ... got a 41.30! First 3k was fine with 3.44, 3.50, 3.51splits but then the course headed out onto the beach for a mile and a half stretch. I knew this in advance but the organisers said it would be wet sand, which it was, but they didn't mention the sand would consist of thick, ankle-spraining, ridges. Then coming off the beach there was an energy sapping stretch over dry sand. By this time my race was pretty much over. It was a sparse field and I ran the second half of the race almost entirely alone. I started thinking of my next event (Blaydon Race) long before the finish line. Finished in 10th place.

To sum up, I started brightly before fading and went down meekly when the going got tough. Sounds just like my football team on Sunday afternoon!!

No comments: