Saturday, September 08, 2007

Time to step it up

After a good start August didn't turn out to be the greatest training month for me. Determined to get a very long run in before going on holiday I ran 13.7 miles on the 12th. It turned out to be a poor effort and I limped home 1:42 (7:29 min/mile). What's more it only gave me 3 days recovery time before the Exhibition Park 5k. I set my PB in this event last year and was hoping to crack it again this time around. The first kilometre went well but by the 2k point I had started to slow. The rest was a bit of a struggle and I came home in 19:12. Not disastrous but somewhat disappointing. All my PBs are challenging now and I have to accept that it's not going to happen every time I race.

I wanted to continue training through our holiday but it didn't quite turn out that way. Managed three runs of around 5 miles in the first week but nothing in the second week. Back home now and the next two weeks are crucial. A long run of 10 miles tomorrow and then 11.5 next Sunday. After this I'll be in a position to set my goals for the Great North Run. I suspect 1:25 is out of the question but let's just wait and see how the next 8 days go.

No comments: