Thursday, May 10, 2007

Marathon hopes melt in London heat

After 16 weeks and 552 miles of preparation hopes of a sub 3:15 marathon were destroyed by some unseasonably warm weather. Having trained in rain, wind and snow the sun came out blazing on race day and it was all too much of a shock to the system.

My preparation had gone well and I was in confident mood as I stood on the start line. The mass of runners ensured a slow, steady start but after 2 miles I was well into my stride. The atmosphere was fantastic in the early part of the race with some excellent vocal support from the local communities of Greenwich. My mile splits between miles 3-11 fluctuated from 6:59 to 7:23 but nevertheless averaging right on my goal of 7:15 per mile. The next 3 miles hovered right around 7:30 and it became apparent the weather was beginning to take its toll on my body. I tried to drink extra fluid throughout the race but I was showing obvious signs of wilting.

By mile 16 I was seriously concerned and had slowed to just under 8 minute miles. At the 18 mile water station I grabbed a bottle of water and walked while I consumed the whole container before starting to run again. I continued with this tactic at the next 3 water stations. 3:15 was out of the window but I felt a new PB (sub 3:27:55) was still a possibility. It seemed to be paying off. I started to feel better and had hopes of a strong finish. This was however a false dawn and just after the 23 mile marker a cramp bolted up my lower right hamstring. I stopped immediately and tried to stretch the pain away. As long and as hard as I stretched it just wouldn't go away. People in the crowd urged me to continue but I could barely walk. Determined to finish I eventually limped along for 50 yards and finally the cramp subsided enough that I could start running again.

I continued through the city of London oblivious to its most famous landmarks and fearing another cramp. My calf gave a twinge but held firm, then my groin did the same, before finally my hamstring went again approaching 25 miles. This time it was my upper hamstring and fortunately a St John's Ambulance volunteer was on hand to massage the area and had me running again in a minute or two. My running style was now severely protracted but as I approached Buckingham Palace I summoned a last grain of energy to pick up the pace. My finishing burst came perhaps a little too soon and the last 50 yards were somewhat stunted but I crossed the line in 3:37:55. A personal worst and almost 23 minutes over my goal but oh so glad it was all over.

The finishing area was deathly silent as runners sat exhausted by the side of the road. In previous marathons finishers were tired but jubilant, happily exchanging pleasantries and personal experiences. It seems the heat had got to almost everyone and all that could be heard was medals being handed out and baggage bus staff returning belongings to drained runners.

I slunk through the city to meet Scott in Trafalgar Square determined never to even contemplate another marathon. I felt sick and dizzy, forcing myself to eat and drink but not really feeling like it. The thought of a celebratory pint was almost enough to make me vomit. However, the powers of recovery are quite amazing. Within 3 hours I was sitting in the John Snow public house with a pint and planning my next assault on the 26.2 miles. Possibly another marathon in the autumn, or maybe I'll wait until next Spring. Whenever it may be I just pray for a nice, cold day. I'll never complain about the bleeding English weather again.

TIMES
10 km 0:46:18
20 km 1:31:57
half 1:36:57
30 km 2:22:40
40 km 3:25:17
finish 3:37:54
TOTAL
Position (overall) 4814
Position (gender) 4202
Position (age group) 791
Finish time 3:37:54

No comments: