Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Still going ...

Well if you've been monitoring this blog (as if anybody is) you'd think I'd given up on my marathon aspirations. However, you'd be mistaken. While the blogging has gone pretty much by the wayside, the running is still going strong. I ran right through the winter and started a 16 week marathon training plan on the 8th January 2007. For the most part things have went quite well. I've been running about 4 or times a week most of the time peaking at 52 miles in week 11. With 5 long runs of 20+ miles and a half marathon at Redcar in 1:26:13 my target for the London Marathon is 3h 10m.

Being a member of a running club has been a real benefit throughout. Although I haven't attended as much as I'd liked it has certainly kept me going and I've learnt how to pace myself much better. My stock has also risen with the coach now that he knows I'm running a marathon. The half-marathon at Redcar in mid-March was a big success. It was held on a cold and blustery day but I produced a pleasing effort that brought me home inside 'that' time I ran at the 2003 Great North Run. Part of me felt I'd never break that record but there I was in the howling wind and bleak Teesside surroundings striding to a new PB. The only disappointment was I faded badly in the last mile of the race. Admittedly it was along the coast with sand blowing off the beach into my face but if I could've maintained the pace my PB would now be that minute quicker at 1:25. Nevertheless a good run and cause for optimism.

It hasn't all been plain sailing though. I'm currently sitting here not having run for 3 days. I left my running shoes at work last Friday and as a result I did my final long run on Sunday (23 miles) in my old running shoes. The run didn't go all that well, I struggled in the last 3 miles and to make things worse I developed a pain in my right knee. As a precaution I've taken a short break which hopefully will cure the problem and not affect my fitness too much.

North Tyneside 10k on Sunday. Looking for at least a sub 40m time. Then only 2 more weeks until the big run down the smoke. Tower of London, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Jimmy Saville, Bernie Clifton on an emu .... bring it on!!!!

No comments: