Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Over and out

It started with a goal in 2-1 defeat away to Valley Gardens Middle School back in September 1983. On Sunday, 23 years on, it all came to an end with another goal as we went down 4-2 to Choppington Bomar at the Foxhunters field in Whitley Bay. In all honesty I shouldn't have played. My groin injury has all but disappeared but there are still a few worrying twinges now and again. For us the game was meaningless, but for the opposition only a win would suffice if they were to clinch the league championship. If ever I needed convincing that it was time to retire then the first half provided the goods. A frustrating 45 minutes played in a howling gale on an awful pitch with a poor referee. We'd been no worse than the opposition but somehow had gifted them a three goal lead. Things got better in the second period and Mason pulled one back with a great strike from the edge of the penalty box. The Bomar started to look nervous, but a goalkeeping howler restored their three goal advantage. As the game wore on we started to play some decent football and I was desperate to get on the scoresheet one last time. Then as we entered the last ten minutes the ball was played up to Tate, who nodded it in the air and lined up a volley. However, before he could get himself into position I swooped in taking the ball off his toe. The defence were left standing and I advanced into the box before smashing the ball past the helpless keeper. The champions elect began to look edgy again. Things could have got even more interesting a couple of minutes later but after jinking past two defenders my shot went high and wide. And that was that, Choppington lifted the league title and my football career came to an end. After rejecting a couple of efforts to make me change my mind on retirement I headed home to prepare for the start of a 15-week training plan that will hopefully culminate in a sub-3 hour marathon in Nottingham on the 10th September. Injuries not withstanding I'm optimistic of success but only time will tell. It’s going to be an interesting summer.

No comments: