Thursday, May 04, 2006

A 48 hours from hell

It just had to come, things were going too smoothly. I was running well, increasing mileage, maintaining my speed and introducing new routes into the schedule. On the football front we were still in the promotion hunt and in a cup semi final. Then out of nowhere an injury gatecrashes the party and things take a dive. The week had begun well. I usually give myself the day off after a match to let my muscles recover. However, I was feeling good and decided to get some extra miles in early in the week. On the way home I took the train to Palmersville and then ran up through Killingworth Village and Backworth. It worked out at just under seven miles and although the pace was slower than normal it was a decent workout. The following night I ran the whole way home and for the second week in a row averaged less than seven minute miles (62:22).

I felt great after the run but the following night we had football training and I was lethargic. I made it through the session with the minimum of effort and decided to rest on Thursday and Friday ahead of our upcoming games that would define our season. As it turns out I missed my scheduled run on Saturday as well and should have been well rested for Sunday’s promotion clash against the Earsdon Red Lion. As I warmed up I felt some tightness in my left groin muscle. Not sure what had brought this on I tried to stretch out as well as possible. Then I got up and kicked the ball with my right foot. “Ow!” a pain shot through my right ankle. The ball came back to me and I kicked it with my left foot and the same pain shot through my left ankle. Maybe my body was trying to tell me this season is the right time to hang up the boots after all.

Anyway, the game kicked off the pains subsided. We didn’t play particularly well, but then neither did the opposition. We gifted them a goal after about fifteen minutes and then they proceeded to present us with chance after chance to equalise. It took the gilt-edged chances but we eventually levelled it up five minutes before half time with a goal from Tatey. Then with half time approaching I picked the ball up in midfield and ran past two defenders. As it turned past the second one a shooting pain went through my groin. It had gone and the pain was pretty bad. The immediate problem was that I was still standing up and in possession of the ball. I looked to lay it off but no-one was available and eventually decided on a shot which turned out to be pathetically weak. I went down for a few seconds but against my better judgement got up and tried to last the two minutes until half time. Moments later we were defending a corner and the ball came to me on the edge of the six-yard box. I swung my leg to clear the ball, and my groin screamed with pain as I completely missed the ball. Fortunately the ref blew for half time and I hobbled off the pitch. The game was over for me and soon after the restart it was over for the rest of the lads as well. Two sloppy goals gave the Red Lion a 3-1 lead. Our promotion hopes were in need of an unlikely three goal comeback and it never looked likely. Craig Blackburn pulled one back from the penalty spot but that was all we could manage. The Red Lion had been poor and if we’d played well it should’ve been an easy three points.

I’ve never had a groin strain before but I can tell you it was pretty painful on Sunday afternoon. The pain subsided by Tuesday but every time I tried to bound up the stairs or jog across the road it came back reminding me I was out of action for a while. I’ve no idea how long it will take to recover but I’d like to play again this season and my first race is pencilled in for 24th May. Meanwhile, two days after the Red Lion defeat the rest of the lads were faced with keeping our season alive in the cup semi final against Choppington Bomar. Although we’d beaten the Bomar 6-3 back in September they are undoubtedly the best team in the division. And with a squad depleted by injuries we never really stood a chance. I stood and watched from the sidelines as we got tonked 5-1. The subs bench was pretty thin and even some of the lads who were playing were carrying injuries. So all in all, not a good 48 hours for any of us. Struck down with an injury that I don’t know how long will take to recover, promotion dreams out the window and then dumped out of the cup. What was that song the played when Tony Blair won the lection in 1997 … “Things can only get better”. Let’s bloody hope so. Stay positive.

No comments: