Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Blay-Done it

Blaydon Race 9th June 2007 - 35:20 (*PB)

Finally after seven years and five attempts I managed to improve on my first-ever Blaydon Race performance. I shaved 7 seconds off my previous best and took home a tremendous slice of satisfaction. On the day of the race I tried to take things easy which isn't always easy when you've got two young kids. I postponed laying turf in the front garden and played with the kids most of the day. I met Dave an hour before the race and didn't feel all that great to be honest. My stomach felt bloated and I was sure as soon as I started to run a stitch would appear. Early stages of the Blaydon Race
Once again the weather was warm and sunny and I had a feeling this was not to be a record-breaking evening. As the start time approached I tried to relax, stretch out, take some deep breaths and focus on the race. We were taken a bit by surprise in the build up and found ourselves a little further back in the pack than I would've liked.

When the bell sounded to signal the start of the event I walked in the pack towards the start line. Fortunately as we started I was able to break into a run and by skipping up on to the pavement I was able to get into my stride. The pace was a little slower than I wanted but I was right to be cautious. A collision with another runner, a traffic cone or a pedestrian wouldn't have done me any good at this early stage of the race. As we approached the Centre for Life the field started to spread out and I was right into my stride, passing runners at will.Newcastle Centre for Life
I turned up onto the long stretch of Scotswood Road and headed straight into the evening sun, glad that I'd decided to wear my shades for the first time ever in any kind of a run. I passed the first mile marker in 6:35, slightly disappointed at the time but feeling great. I stretched my legs out and picked up the pace. Starting slightly further back than I intended meant there was a constant stream of runners for me to chase down and pass. The 2 mile marker came and went with a split of 6:06 and I tried to keep the momentum going. Still running into the sun and still feeling good I hit mile 3 with a fastest lap of 6:02. Suddenly I started to believe that a new PB was a possibility.

As I turned off the Scotswood Road I knew the next two miles were crucial. I was approaching the most difficult part of the course with a few inclines and a number of twists and turns. I tried to stay focused and not ease off on the pace. Working hard to maintain my speed I pushed on by urging myself to keep passing runners ahead of me and intent on not being passed myself. The 4 mile marker came with a slightly slower lap time of 6:12 and I grabbed a plastic cup of water from the feed station. I probably only got a thimble full of liquid down my throat but it seemed to help. Most of the fifth mile is back on the dual carriageway and predominately up a steady incline. I could see the long line of runners ahead of me and I forced myself to pass as many as possible.

When I hit the 5 mile marker in 31:11 (6:14 lap) I really had no idea if a new PB was possible or not. However, I knew I was on for a good time and wanted to make sure I made the most of the opportunity. I really pushed myself over this last 0.7 of a mile determined to do just as well as I possibly could. As I ran into the town of Blaydon I was urged on by the crowds and in particular Ron the club coach. This was just the spur I needed and I put in a Seb Coe like finishing kick bursting past a number of fellow competitors. It actually turned out to be a little premature because I couldn't maintain my speed all the way to the end, but as I slalomed the finishing turns I dug deep and passed one more runner just before the line. Immediately after crossing the line I checked my watch and was delighted to see 35:20 staring back at me. So delighted in fact, I gave a little clenched fist celebration and a shout of "Yes!". Quite embarrasing really but it was an emotional moment!The most unique goody bag in the world of athletics

Sweaty but jubilant, I waited in the finishing area for Dave before we headed back home for a night out in Monkseaton with Alan. Rounded the day off with a very enjoyable session in the Black Horse. Biggest shock of the night was Alan finishing the night drunker than either myself or Dave. The only one of us who usually knows when he's had enough had gone a little over the top. We're not as young as we used to be you know. However, on the evening's running performance I seem to be as fit as ever.

Splits
1 - 6:35.1
2 - 6:06.5
3 - 6:02.6
4 - 6:12.8
5 - 6:14.1
5.7 - 4:09.8 (35:20.9)

Official time 36:01, 140th/3338, 71st/933 u40m

Full Blaydon Race 2007 Results

No comments: