Sunday, April 02, 2006

A blip in form.

Thu 31 Mar Delaval Arms 43:42

It seems like I've hit a bit of a pothole in my training plan. This week got off to a decent start with the 9 mile run home from work but just one more run, and a disappointing one at that during the rest of the week. My training has certainly taken a bit of a dive over the past two weeks and I'm really going to have to dig in and work hard to get myself back on track.

Thursday's run was exceptional in an unwanted kind of way. Not for the first time whilst running at night, I was abused and harrased by a bunch of teenagers sitting in the bus stop outside the Whitley Bay Leisure Pool. This time two of them chased after me whilst shouting and screaming. I'd had enough and turned and swore very loudly at them which sent them sprinting in the opposite direction. It was just a bunch of stupid girls and I should have just ignored them but this kind of thing is happening too often and I'd had enough this time. It really spoilt my run, sometimes when you're not running well at least you feel the benefit mentally of getting away from everything and can relax with your own thoughts. This incident ruined everything, I felt anger at being harrassed and guilt at the way I reacted. It just beats me that in a decent area with good state schools we still have to put up with kids like this. What kind of parent allows their 13 year old kids to wander the sea front in the dark these days? Do they not watch the news or read the newspapers and realise what kind of weirdos can be lurking out there?

Anyway, rant over. Next week's plan must be to stick to my plan, run 4 times during the week and get myself back on track.

No comments: